[vorbis] Scheduled Ogg streams for testing

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Oct 22 01:53:51 PDT 2001

>That's not what I'm saying.  My point is that currently there is no way of
>launching an ogg stream of any sort that does not tie people to using a
>player that also supports MP3.  there should be an ogg-independant way to
>do this so that you can use one player for ogg and another for MP3 streams.

That's just not true. There are two widely used formats for this: m3u, and
pls. m3u works fine, but is associated with mp3 so people want to avoid it.
pls isn't format-specific, but isn't as widely supported. Why add a third
one? For wide support, m3u _works_. For a more sensible format, pls also
works, though not as widely.

If we add a third one, then that'll be _even less_ supported than pls. Why
do this? It makes no sense.

Michael