[vorbis] Scheduled Ogg streams for testing

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Sun Oct 21 19:26:43 PDT 2001

> At present, you can't.

You are misusing web browsers. :)

A web browser downloads a document and decides what to do with it.  That
is how all web browsers I know of currently work.

Of course, downloading the whole stream is not acceptable, so you have
to give it a playlist file to download (which is tiny).  The playlist
gets handed to some application, and that application can then connect
and start the stream.

You can't just type in the URL, unless your web browser handles these
things natively.

> I posted about this problem a couple of weeks back
> but, IIRC, got no response.

I've answered this question five kajillion times on the icecast list.

> We need to sort this one out soon or there'll
> be too many programs out there that don't support whatever we eventually
> come up with.

We're hardly able to change the behavior of browsers no matter how soon
we act.

If the BBC forgot their playlist files, that's not our problem, it's
theirs :)

That being said, icecast2 will have a way to do this automatically.
There's no reason it couldn't generate pointers to streams
automatically, so at least you didn't have to do extra work.

jack.