[vorbis] Ogg FLAC

Josh Coalson j_coalson at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 19:13:38 PDT 2001

--- Jack Moffitt <jack at xiph.org> wrote:
> > Just for the heck of it I have added an option to the
> > flac encoder to use ogg as the transport stream, based
> > on an earlier patch.  It basically just wraps a native
> > FLAC stream in ogg pages.
>
> Is there two sets of transport information now? Or did flac not have
> the
> seeking/etc infrastructure?  Is there a case to be made for all flac
> files to be oggs ? :)

yes, FLAC has very minimal transport-level info.  a
little less even than ogg, since it doesn't support
ogg's concept of interleaving logical streams.  so
there is some duplication, but not much.

you could make the case to drop the redundancy from
the FLAC format, but standalone FLAC is proving to
be very useful for file storage and the simplicity
of the framing makes decoding very easy.

my overall vision would be to have an -ogg option to
flac that does what I mentioned, and a tool that can
convert between Ogg-FLAC and standalone FLAC, which
would also be very simple.  all of this I could do
pretty quickly if it would be really useful.

> > I am
> > not too familiar with ogg/vorbis's killer apps right now
> > but I'm assuming that having a lossless codec wrapped
> > in ogg will make it at least slightly easier to add FLAC
> > support to ogg-aware tools.  I just don't know what they
> > are or if there is a demand for it.
>
> Actually it will currently break them all.  But this is a good thing.
> One more reason to fix that problem :)

is there some specific tool I should look into first?
like mayebe icecast?

Josh