[vorbis] Is Vorbis really THIS good?

Rik Hemsley rik at kde.org
Thu Oct 11 12:09:51 PDT 2001

#if EdB
> Is Vorbis really that good that it can make a converted 160kbps MP3
> sound as good at 80kbps?  Or am I just hearing impaired?

If the sound quality of your 160kbps MP3 is good, and if the artefacts
are very small, converting it to Vorbis is fine. Of course, you're going
to lose quality 'officially' - but if you don't notice, then there's no
point caring.

I tried converting some 256kbps MP3s to Vorbis and didn't hear any
difference. This doesn't surprise me, as I couldn't hear the difference
between the original WAVs and the MP3s. I expected perhaps the
occasional 'weird' moment, but nothing jumped out at me.

Rik