[vorbis] OT: CD anti-copying techniques, and their pervasiveness (was: Re: [vorbis] More on CD anti-copying techniques)

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at intranet.csupomona.edu
Sat Oct 6 15:56:30 PDT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, safemode wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2001 08:14, Nathan I. Sharfi wrote:
> > I doubt this; why would any self-respecting label advertise that their
> > music is capable of being ripped and distributed electronically?
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, safemode wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > You're probably going to see record labels advertising True cds to try
> > > and get more sales than those advertising the retarded broken cds with
> > > wma crap on them.
> >

> None of them have been advertising that they can get ripped yet and they all
> can.   You'll find some labels selling on the point that their competitors
> cds are broken and sub-quality and shorter.
I can't imagine when the last time labels actually made themselves visible
on the floor of the local Best Buy or other outlet for shrinkwrapped music.

> Compatibility is always a great
> seller.  The cd ripping population is quite large and they wont be happy with
> those record companies doing this when it goes full scale.
Compatibility is a great seller--however, given that it's nearly impossible
to get a refund on one of these so-called "broken" (not that I disagree...)
CDs, what do we have to voice our disgust other than more elaborate
ripping/protection circumvention techniques?

> I'm not paranoid that the entire world is becoming corporate and all.  I have
> absolute faith that this "anti-pirating technique" will be broken quite
> quickly and everything will return to business as usual.
It'll be circumvented eventually, but that doesn't mean labels won't keep
trying. I'd consider _that_ to be business as usual from now on.

> If it hasn't been
> already.  Lucky for me, none of the music i listen to comes from any major
> record labels and something tells me the indie labels will be slow if at all
> to come on board with this crap.
Yeah, especially compared with the added cost of implementing all this...
I still listen to some popular music, though...