[vorbis-dev] Re: [vorbis] Request for Standardization: classical music TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Wed Oct 3 10:46:51 PDT 2001

Your comment misses the point; the pop music crowd can continue to use
their tags; the existing tags are appropriate for pop music.

What I proposed is that players support display of additional tags,
specific to classical music.  This is INCLUSIONARY, not *exclusionary*
support.  POP users notice no difference.  Classical users will notice a
big difference, and plonk themselves down firmly in the camp of Ogg, instead
of mp3.

As for xmms compatibility, that is a straw man.  I will have no problem
patching xmms to display the new tags appropriately, where it runs
across them.

What I think I'm hearing from people here is "lets limit ourselves to
the tags that are available under mp3, so we can be backward
compatible".  Whew.  If I wanted backward compatible, I'd just stick
with mp3 and ignore ogg.

Fact remains, even pop music can benefit from COMPOSER and ARRANGER
tags.  Don't forget, (for the umpteenth time) the tags are OPTIONAL.
What I'm trying to standardize is

A) some extra tags are now standard for certain types of information
B) when you need to put in that kind of information, you use those tags,
   but you don't HAVE to use those tags at all

Jonathan

- --
I am working to subvert from within ...
umm ...  by writing shoddy code ... and