[vorbis] Request for Standardization: classical music TAGS

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Tue Oct 2 18:14:21 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 03 October 2001 12:41, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> There's been some interesting theory written in this thread so far.
> How about a little bit of real-world practice?

> And this is just for "popular" (hah!) music, folks.  Classical has an
> even larger amount of meta-information to be noted.

Vorbis comments are not intended to be used to store every bit of metadata
about a song. We need some sort of XML schema for that sort of thing so we
could say something like:

 <additonal-musician>
   <name>Eric Rosse</name>
   <instrument>Irish War Drum</instrument>
</additonal-musician>

> And we haven't even
> *touched* lyrics yet.  (By the way, limitations in vorbiscomment prevent
> you from putting the lyrics into a single tag.  Yes, I tried it once,
> though not on Tori Amos.  And you can't spread the lyrics across multiple
> tags of the same name, because the tags come back in a random order!)

I don't think there's any particular reason why you couldn't, assuming the
lyrics tag fits inside the (ample) space limitation. This could be a library
bug, or a problem with vorbiscomment.

> Personally, I'm not going to be satisfied by any solution short of being
> able to put *every scrap of textual information* on the CD liner notes
> into the .ogg file.  Including lyrics.  (I generally don't put all that
> information into every .ogg I encode -- it's rather time-consuming.
> But I want to be *able* to!)

The day I can store the liner notes for 'Oil and Gold' by Shriekback,
phonetic alphabet, typesetting and all, will be a great day indeed :-)

John