[vorbis] Request for Standardization: classical music TAGS

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Tue Oct 2 12:07:30 PDT 2001

[ Sorry for sending this twice; I sent it to the vorbis-dev list by
mistake. ]

The ALBUM, ARTIST, TITLE, and TRACKNUMBER tags aren't sufficient for
classical music.  MP3 muffed it, but since Vorbis is so flexible, I'd
like to propose that ogg123 recognize and display the following
optional tags, instead of giving an error message that it doesn't
recognize the tags.

Oh, before I list the tags; I encourage comments and feedback, and
Monty, if I was to provide a patch to ogg123 that supported my proposal,
would you be open to including it?

Here goes:

CATEGORY=classical
        this alerts ogg123 to look out for the other tags mentioned
        here.  Otherwise it does what it normally does.

OPUS
        the number of the work; ie, Opus 10, BWV 81 (bach), K6 (mozart)

COMPOSER
        composer of the work. ie, Gustav Mahler

PERFORMERS
        individual performers singled out for mention;
        ie, Sally Straw (violinist)\nJim Buck (harmonica)

ENSEMBLE
        the group playing the peice, whether orchestra, choir,
        or quartet, ie, Berlin Philharmonic.  if there are multiple
        ensembles, they can be listed together as with the
        PERFORMERS tag

CONDUCTOR
        conductor of the work; ie Herbert von Karajan.  As with
        ENSEMBLE, if there are multiple conductors, list them same as
        with PERFORMERS tag (some oddball modern works require multiple
        conductors at the same time)

LABEL
        the record label that produced the CD

DISCID
        since the EIN, ISBN, etc numbers aren't to be reliably found
        on the CD, nor is the catalog number reliable, the cddb
        discid should go here.

ISBN
        if found, put ISBN or EIN of the compact disc here.

TRACK
        the track number on the CD

TITLE
        title of the work, ie "Pastoral"

TYPE
        type of work, ie, Symphony or Sonata or Piano Concerto

NUMBER
        if the work is one of a series, its number goes here.
        ie, Beethovens 1st Piano Concerto would be "1"

MOVEMENT
        if the work is broken into more than one part, this tells you
        which part it is. ie, "1. Allegreto andante"

LOCATION
        where the recording was made

DATE
        date and time the recording was made