[vorbis] Average Bitrate Calculation

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Oct 2 09:08:09 PDT 2001

> I'm certainly no expert on audio formats but it seems that they all
> suffer from lack of basic information at the start of the file.

You can't make that requirement mandatory and do anything in one pass.
It would screw Ogg for any steamed encoding practice, just like it
screws WAV.

>  It is very
> inefficient to be jumping around thousands of files to obtain the length
> (duration) of a playlist when the length of a song could simply be placed
> at the beginning of the file after encoding.

On average, Ogg seeks three-four times at open.

> On a similar subject, is there an easy way of determining the number of bits
> per second of the original PCM source.

Yes, from the first header, but it won't tell you bit-depth of the
original as Vorbis doesn't have any such concept.  Guessing 16 is reasonable.

Monty