[vorbis] RC3 ?

safemode safemode at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 1 15:54:14 PDT 2001

On Monday 01 October 2001 17:20, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> To add another "me too", what needs to be done before
> the release of RC3?  RC2 is been working pretty good
> for me already; I've just been holding off on ripping
> my CD collection in case more improvements in compression
> and audio quality are coming down the pike.
>
> Jonathan

I'm more concerned with a psycho-acoustic engine that's vorbis biased.  We
have lame but lame's psycho-acoustic engine is hand tuned for mp3 encoding.
I somehow doubt oggenc has an acoustic engine that rivals lame's in
performance and i dont think lame uses any different routines for when it's
encoding to vorbis (which i haven't been able to do in rc1 or rc2 with lame -
cvs).  Does anyone know if there are any people working on this ?   Or does
vorbis suffer the same frequency problems that mp3 does?