[vorbis] Mime types

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Wed Nov 28 03:32:37 PST 2001

Mark de Bokx (m.debokx at planetmediagroup.nl) wrote:

> Does anyone know how to configure the mime type for ogg on Apache (on a
> FreeBSD box)?

In Debian, I added this line:

  application/x-ogg					ogg

to "/etc/mime.types".

> I added application/x-ogg  to the mime.types file in Apache,
> but Nutscrape6.2 and Mozilla 0.9.5 just show the file in txt format, IE5x on
> the other hand kindly asks me what to do with the file (open it or download
> it).

First, verify that the Apache server is actually sending the right MIME
type for the file.  E.g.,

  dwarf:~$ wget --spider http://localhost:8080/mp3/Tori_Amos/Tori%20Amos%20-%20Winter.ogg
  --06:29:30--
  http://localhost:8080/mp3/Tori_Amos/Tori%20Amos%20-%20Winter.ogg
             => `Tori Amos - Winter.ogg'
  Connecting to localhost:3128... connected!
  Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
  Length: 5,273,980 [application/x-ogg]
  200 OK

Once you know for sure that the MIME type is actually being sent
correctly, then you can worry about what the browser is doing with
that information.

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>