[vorbis] [

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 19:08:19 PST 2001

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 15:53, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> On 26 November 2001 21:11, Monty wrote:
> > It was at one point, and I ended up having to approve a third to a
> > half of the total posts coming in.  It also screws anyone using mail
> > alises (think procmail) to sub to the list.
>
> I use a separate email address for mailing lists but still manage to post
> properly.
>
> If people can't handle their mail client then they shouldn't be posting.
> All one has to do is thange the From address (or Identity in some clients).
>  Just autoreject all the posts from non-subscribed addresses, sending back
> an automatic failure message.

This is not always possible in environments with bad MTA setups - MX records
pointing to CNAMEs and that sort of thing. I know of one university where
students can always there mail where ever they are (departmental computers,
various labs, the library etc) regardless of the address it's sent to, but
seem to send from a different one in each location. I'm being charitable and
assuming that email addresses aren't being munged by their mail system in
addition to this, but I wouldn't be supprized.

The best solution is to use a mailing list manager that let's the users set a
list of email address that they use, marking one or more as delivery
addresses. Non-subscriber bounce messages can advise the user how to
either subscribe, or add the bouncing address to the existing list. No spam,
no list admin hassles.

I don't know of one that does this, however :-)

John