[vorbis] Encoding or Playback problem?

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Nov 26 05:38:04 PST 2001

On 2001-11-26, Mark de Bokx wrote:

> >If it's your hardware it should show up also on playing the original wavs.
> >Also try decoding the vorbis file back into a .wav (e.g. with one of
> >winamp's diskwriter plugins, CDex, etc.) and play back the encoded wav
> >versus the original.
>
> Ermmm it doenst happen with the orignal .WAV. I could encode the same WAV
> file easily in RealMedia, MP3 and WindowsMedia without the weird stuff that
> happened here.

Looks like vorbis related software, question is whether this is in ecdoded
vorbis file or in winamp plyer.  Do try to decode to wav and play the wav.

> >Last version is 1.40 beta 9, it's the first that uses RC2 vorbis encoder.
> >It also has support for winamp plugins (don't know since when), I don't
> >remember if it can play, decode to wav or both; it comes with older
> >versions of winamp vorbis plugin, just copy the latest from winamp.
>
> I know, I used the beta8 version. With CdEx I used the "encode on the fly"
> option, it had the same results as using Oggdrop RC2. Ermm come to think of
> it...I wanted to code in CBR (strict) is that at all possible?

Not yet and strict CBR - never.  Not evn MP3 does strict CBR, it has "bit
reservoir" tricks which is just limited ABR.  Vorbis should include a true
bitrate managment engine in RC3 which will give you choice from ABR (with
settable limits, currently limits are ignored) to true (quality-based)
VBR.  AFAIK ;).

> I just want
> to put up a very unscientific codec comparison  of just one file and imho
> this is not complete when I dont use OGG :) (until now I have Real, Windows,
> MP3 up and running, I will also do Qdesign Music codec to please the Apple
> crowd). Bandwiths are 32Kbps and 96Kbps, later on I will add 128Kbps also.
>
> See: http://the.unreachable.org
>

> > The official Ogg plugin for Winamp
> > Peter's 1.16?
>
> Dunno which version, I downloaded it from the Vorbis site (that redirects to
> the WinAmp site)./ I am using WinAmp 2.77

Open winamp settings, input plugins, you should see it in the "Nullsoft
Vorbis decoder" name, if not select it and hit "about".  But it played
well for some time already anyway...

> If the coding and all is succesfull and I like how the Ogg's sound I will
> start using it as favorite format.
>
> Anyway any suggestion is welcome, I have to solve this because I wanne put
> that shit on my website asap (to prove some people wrong about the overall
> sound quality of OGG)

Maybe make a small sample of the wav and upload it somewhere.  Maybe
you've discovered a bug.  Does it happen to all your files systematically?

> Regards,
>

> Mark
> --
> Mark de Bokx
> Internet Service Engineer
> ICT Communication and Media Services
> PlanetMediaGroup
> the Netherlands
>
> "Reality is for people who lack imagination."

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)