[vorbis] Encoding or Playback problem?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Nov 26 05:36:27 PST 2001

>I know, I used the beta8 version. With CdEx I used the "encode on the fly"
>option, it had the same results as using Oggdrop RC2. Ermm come to think of
>it...I wanted to code in CBR (strict) is that at all possible? I just want
>to put up a very unscientific codec comparison  of just one file and imho
>this is not complete when I dont use OGG :) (until now I have Real, Windows,
>MP3 up and running, I will also do Qdesign Music codec to please the Apple
>crowd). Bandwiths are 32Kbps and 96Kbps, later on I will add 128Kbps also.

Strict CBR is a pretty bad idea usually - there are very, very few
circumstances where it's useful. rc3 (soon!) will let you do constrained
bitrates in a number of different ways though - including, if you really
want to, CBR. More useful are 'average' bitrate modes - where the codec
guarantees to stick to a constant _average_ bitrate, but may fluctuate
up and down over shorter time intervals. In fact, this is more of a fair
comparison to other formats like mp3, which have a similar system but
hide it behind more complex bitstream formatting requirements.

Michael