[vorbis] Encoding or Playback problem?

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Mon Nov 26 04:40:46 PST 2001

On 2001-11-26, Mark de Bokx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Have trouble encoding / playing back OGG using WinAmp + plugin. I encoded
> the files from .WAV with Ogg drop RC2. Seems to be ok. When I try and play
> them back though I get very very weird sound effects (some kind of
> "wobbling", some bass frequencies that are usually in the background seem to
> get more emphasised and they seem to have some kind of strange echo / reverb
> to it aswell. All in and it seems like the track plays itself twice, once
> normal (I can hear the song as it is supposed to be heard) and one like
> somekind of "overlay" on top of the original file that has the above
> mentioned artifacts. Anyone have a suggestion what might be the cause, I
> mean is it my hardware or is the file not encoded correctly?

If it's your hardware it should show up also on playing the original wavs.
Also try decoding the vorbis file back into a .wav (e.g. with one of
winamp's diskwriter plugins, CDex, etc.) and play back the encoded wav
versus the original.

> Software used:
> CdEx (CDA --> WAV)
Last version is 1.40 beta 9, it's the first that uses RC2 vorbis encoder.
It also has support for winamp plugins (don't know since when), I don't
remember if it can play, decode to wav or both; it comes with older
versions of winamp vorbis plugin, just copy the latest from winamp.

> OggDrop RC2 (WAV --> Ogg)
> The official Ogg plugin for Winamp
Peter's 1.16?

> Win98SE
>
> Hardware used:
> Sony CD-ROM player
> Soundblaster Live
> P3, 500Mhz, 256MBRam
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark de Bokx
> Internet Service Engineer
> ICT Communication and Media Services
> PlanetMediaGroup
> the Netherlands
>
> "Reality is for people who lack imagination."

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)