ATTENTION Re: [vorbis] Multichannel files

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Nov 15 12:40:04 PST 2001

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 07:19:05AM -0700, volsung at asu.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, David Balazic wrote:
>
> > > Either there's something I'm missing, or I don't see much of a use for 5.1
> > > Oggs.
> >

> > Now if someone wrote a program that uses 4 four channels of my AudioPCI and
> > the 2 of the on-board sound to get 5.1 , that would be cool :-)
>
> I just wanted to point out that this would not work too well after a while
> because of clock-drift between the two cards.  The oscillators on the cards
> will slowly get out of sync, and the audio will drift out of phase, ruining
> the surround sound image.

This will not happen 'slowly'.  Odd shifting effects, depending on the card, will happen within seconds and certainly in under a minute.

> that can take an external clock input (which is what they do in recording
> situations).

Good external sync multichannel recording equipment isn't that
expensive.  The eMagic 6/2 is about $350 and the M_Audio Quattro 4/4
is about $250.  These are external USB devices.

Monty