ATTENTION Re: [vorbis] Multichannel files

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Thu Nov 15 06:19:05 PST 2001

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, David Balazic wrote:

> > Either there's something I'm missing, or I don't see much of a use for 5.1
> > Oggs.
>

> Now if someone wrote a program that uses 4 four channels of my AudioPCI and
> the 2 of the on-board sound to get 5.1 , that would be cool :-)

I just wanted to point out that this would not work too well after a while
because of clock-drift between the two cards.  The oscillators on the cards
will slowly get out of sync, and the audio will drift out of phase, ruining
the surround sound image.  That's why you need all of the decoders on the same
card (where presumably there is a single clock), or you need an expensive card
that can take an external clock input (which is what they do in recording
situations).

---
Stan Seibert