[vorbis] rc2 incompatibilities ?

Gian-Carlo Pascutto gcp at sjeng.org
Sat Nov 10 08:33:46 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "mathieu" <yeupou at coleumes.org>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2001 5:21 PM
Subject: [vorbis] rc2 incompatibilities ?

> Files encoded with rc2 (comes from the latest RPM available at
> vorbis.com) seems to be unreadable for ogg123 < rc2 version (for
> example, beta4)

a) ogg123 does not care what version the files are, but the
vorbis libraries do. I suppose that is what you mean.

b) the decoder in the beta4 libraries did not support all
features of the 1.0 format and hence cannot decode all files.
Any decoder later than (or equal to) rc1 can. So rc1 can
still decode rc2 files, and it will read rc3 and later
files too. But beta4 cannot.

> Is that normal ? Will this file be readable with ogg123  >= rc2 ?

It should be.

> Are plugins for windows player updated, can they read ogg files encoded
> with ogg123 rc2 ?

Yes.

--
GCP