[vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to have?

Beni Cherniavksy cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Nov 8 06:24:44 PST 2001

On 2001-11-05, Anna Hämäläinen wrote:

> 	*Service shouldn't cost anything (or at least would be very cheap)for
> end-users. (It would be financed mostly by advertising)
>
> 	*Service should create value to you.
>
> 	*Service should be interesting and value-creating for others too!
>
> 	*It shouldn't break common ethical values
>
> 	*I don't want another Napster!
>
> 	*And most importantly service would somehow exploit Ogg Vorbis-format!
>
> 	*Service would be something new and innovative or something old but which
> is innovatively arranged to serve Ogg Vorbis-users.

An idea I personally don't need now (I don't have a portable player,
etc):

Something similar to the numerous file-storage services (xdrive, etc.) but
with specific support for vorbis could be good.  The first "vorbis-smart"
ability I see is bit peeling.  It should be able to do bit peeling on the
server and stream to you a lower-bitrate version.  At your T1-connected
workplace you listen to the full quality, at another place over a
modem/ISDN you listen at lower quality, at another place you download some
of your collection to your portable player at low bitrate too.  Maybe the
later could one day develop into schemes like what is now appearing with
electronic photo "frames" - at any place in the world, you plug your
internet-enabled portable player into a phone jack, erhh, a quantum
internet connector and refresh your player with a new portion of your
online music collection.

Landing back at our century ;), it can also provide streaming services:
the server takes a file/playlist that it has or streams-in/downloads it
from locations you tell it (maybe from the IceS that runs on your own
computer) and restreams it to others.  The combination of a storage with a
publicly accessible streaming server would allow everyone to create an
internet radio station for free.

Of course all public features should be optinal.

Have interfaces to obtain the metadata of ogg files (without downloading
them).  Have search.

Have abilities for sharing things with others: give them read/search
access on your files/metadata; allow them to see what songs you currently
listen to.  Combine these two: every listener who enables this becomes a
radio station that streams exactly what he listens to from his home (will
probably require more support from the player).

* Somebody, think of a way to handle the copyright issues.  I can't
brainstorm if I try to account for them ;).

* Here is the most innovative idea here:

Have collobarative playlist editing abilities (conference).  I don't think
this has ever been done.  Imagine 3 people going on a picnic.  Each one
has a portable player.  They connect to their music collection, decide
together which songs they want to take with them, divide them among the
portables and load them in.  Meeting at the picnic, they have the music
they together wanted.  Or just imagine several DJs around the world
control together a single radio station...

In general, I imagine the audio equivallent of SourceForge - the audio
paradise humanity would have if it sorted out the lisencing matters ;).
Everything should be open and free to the users (unlike MyPlay).

In the future, expand this to other formats: flac, tarkin (how much
hardware do you need for an open vidoe streaming server ?-), etc.

* Profit: who pays for all this???

Advertisement placers.  Users who desire very much diskspace on the server
(?).  People who want you to deploy and support a similar system in e.g.
their organization (like SOurceForge did).  A funny thing to do is to have
the streaming server plug holes that might appear when the source lags
behind with commercials ;).  Invent more.

                 (also scben at t2 in Technion)