[vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to have?

ogg at iribarren.com ogg at iribarren.com
Tue Nov 6 13:19:38 PST 2001

You can get EAC to encode while it rips, at least in version 0.9.11. Go to EAC Options -> Tools -> On
Extraction, start external compressors...

I think this isn't enabled by default because it requires kind of a powerful machine. On my puny P2
375MhzOC, the encoding (shamefully, to MP3. I'm not ready to adopt vorbis just yet) thread takes up all
available processor time when running at the same priority as the ripping thread. This means that the CD
can't be read continuously because the computer is busy encoding, which kind of makes this useless.
Hopefully I will upgrade soon (he he.... Athlon XP +1800, nForce-based motherboard.... :)) so I can really
multitask in style!

Anyway, I think this is getting OT really fast. In answer to Anna Hämäläinen's original question:

>*Service shouldn't cost anything (or at least would be very cheap)for end-users. (It would be financed
>mostly by advertising)
This kind of rules out most profitable businesses, doesn't it? Web radio does come to mind as a
possibility, though.

>Because there is CERTAIN IDEOLOGY BEHIND OGG VORBIS I'd like TO RESPECT IT.
If this is what you really want, then the single most important thing you have to remember is that the user
must have a CHOICE. The user should not be forced to do what you want, but rather should be free to
choose from a variety of options. Want a crappy web interface? Fine. Want to return to the familiar URLs
and protocols? Ok. Want a DJ telling you what's coming, and a chance to participate in the programming?
That's ok too.

That's what I think ogg and all the other open-source projects are about, being able to choose what product
you use and how you use it. Respect that in your service, and you will be creating a huge value for this
comunity.

    http://alex.iribarren.com
PGP Key ID: 0x80F4CBC8