[vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to have?

Wilson defiler at null.net
Tue Nov 6 05:54:27 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jernej Simonèiè" <jernej.simoncic at guest.arnes.si>
To: "Nick Ludlam" <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 7:01 AM
Subject: Re[2]: [vorbis] What kind of Ogg Vorbis-services you would like to
have?

> EAC (www.exactaudiocopy.de) is even better than CDex. It uses Vorbis
> through command-line encoder, so you can use any version you wish.
> And it's the only (windows-based) ripper you can use for scratched
> CDs. (but it doesn't have so nice interface as CDex)

EAC is great, but it's not possible to do proper tagging from the "oggenc"
command line. Supposedly the next version of EAC will support this, but for
the moment it's nearly useless for encoding Oggs.
Not to mention the fact that it stops ripping while it encodes WAV->Ogg.
That's no big deal with Monkey's Audio, since it only takes 10 seconds to
compress. Long Oggs can take a great deal of time to compress.. Really stops
up the process.
It's too bad cdparanoia isn't as fast/good as EAC, or else GRIP would be an
even better solution to the problem than it already is.
I just don't have adequate ripping gear in my Linux boxes, unfortunately.