[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Thu May 31 15:13:28 PDT 2001

Wilson wrote:

> I would infer that DAC design is possibly
> harder than landing a man on the moon.

If you take all the components in the process from CD --> ear,
(ie. CD Player, cables, amp, speakers, room accoustics, etc.)
and give them a relative value, then I believe the DAC will
score pretty low. *Very* much less important than all the other
factors.

As for the difficulty of building a DAC which can reproduce
a 44.1 kHz signal with 16 bit samples, I believe it's vastly
overstated by audio "experts".

I've personally sat in a million dollar recording studio
and listened to music played back over a $25 PC sound card
connected via a $0.02 jack plug (not gold plated). It didn't
sound too bad...

(...and AFAIK they're still using that same PC/sound card
 to listen to sound files).

--
<\___/>
/ O O \