AW: [vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Randall Hofland rhofland at fastdial.net
Thu May 31 00:36:39 PDT 2001

P2s are long gone, so you must mean P3. And regarding another later comment
about Intel chipsets, the BX440 was anything but a slouch although only a few
boards using it were set up to allow the use of PC133 memory without also
overclocking the PCI and AGP buses (Abit's BX133 comes to mind).

As for P4, the latest I've heard (currently a few weeks old) is that the
current P3 Coppermines will soon begin to replace the Celerons and that newer
P4s will replace current offerings, including P4 Xeons for large SMP servers.
That is a common Intel strategy, nothing to be surprised about, and while I
could be quite incorrect, I doubt it.

That still leaves AMD in the drivers seat for now.