[vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

Kenneth Arnold ken at arnoldnet.net
Wed May 30 19:04:26 PDT 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 06:43:44PM +0200, Burgwedel Friedrich wrote:
> PS: When ripping/encoding at multi-speed, you cannot listen to the CD -- the
> CD-ROM drive will be to slow to step between the to reading positions. But
> there is no problem with listening/ripping/encoding at single speed (or
> faster, if you prefer... ;).

I have successfully ripped and played at the same time (usually
without realizing it), and the CD-ROM drive makes funny noises and the
rip slows to a crawl, but it keeps playing! It's worse if the play and
rip read points are far apart but even then I've had it work
okay. I have also ripped with two CD-ROM drives at once ... fun
stuff. Now back to work...

--
Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/