[vorbis] Re: Are AMDs preferable?

Nicholas Pappas nick at rightstep.org
Tue May 29 14:50:18 PDT 2001

> If I wish to _ensure_ that I can _always_ do real-time encoding, what is
> the cheapest AMD chip I should buy?

        Well, you can get a 900 MHz Duron for around $70 which will probably do
just fine for you (the Duron is AMD's answer to the Celeron, but it's
faster and cheaper).  You can also get some of the older (slower)
Thunderbirds for pretty cheap too.
        However, there are two other factors you need to consider.  The
motherboard is going to run you $100 or more and you also need *good*
memory when dealing with AMD, they are less forgiving -- a $45 128 Meg
chip isn't going to cut it.
        You can save money, but don't skimp.  Get a 900 MHz Duron and a good Asus
motherboard that will fit your needs.  For memory, goto
http://www.crucial.com -- I would not suggest getting memory from
anywhere else once you start working with the higher end systems.

        Nick