[vorbis] Java?

Dr.Joerg Bergmann bergmann at rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
Sun May 27 23:41:23 PDT 2001

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Michael Smith wrote:

> If you need something that runs at a reasonable speed, it'd be pretty easy
> to write JNI code to connect libvorbis to java, but then your java isn't
> as portable (in that it requires recompiling on each new platform - libvorbis
> itself probably runs on more platforms than java does).

For playing ogg files, you need at least Java 1.3 (including
the javax packages for direct audio access). As I have learned,
the new (IBM) 1.3 java virtual machines (with JIT switched on)
do a very good job. Forget the times, when JAVA programs
run at a speed at least a magnitude below machine dependent
plus compiled (e.g. C) programs! For example the JAVA ogg player
(44.1 kHz sampling rate, stereo, 128k) needs approx. 30%
cpu load on my Pentium II 400. The speedup from JAVA 1.1.8
to JAVA 1.3 is 4...5! For example sounds, see my home
page www.jbergmann.de (in german).

J"org Bergmann
email at jbergmann.de