[vorbis] Version 1.0, HipZip, News

Aron Burrell litui at litui.net
Sun May 27 19:20:31 PDT 2001

Hey.  I've noticed a severe lack of recent news updates on xiph.org and
vorbis.com.  Of course, I'm sure you can't name an exact date for
version 1.0 due to development schedules and what not, but it'd be handy
to have an easily accessible list somewhere of what major chunks
of coding remain before Version 1.0's release.  Personally, I'm quite
content with the format as is.  Encoding at 96k still gives
dumbfoundingly good quality and altogether I think you folks have done
an excellent job.  Unfortunately, I can't play these anywhere but on a
computer.  I ordered a HipZip, in spite of the mere 38MB per disk (tho
the media isn't overly expensive), having heard that when version 1.0 is
released so will be a vorbis-supporting firmware.  Any news on when I
and others like myself can expect to listen to ogg on the go would be
great.

Also, since i'm still wary about the small amount of storage on the
HipZip (made sure I bought it somewhere with good return policy), if
you developers with ogg on your hipzips could give me your nutshell
reviews of the device I'd probably be more at ease =).

- Aron

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>