[vorbis] streaming...getting it together

august black at mail.fl.aec.at
Sun May 27 01:19:23 PDT 2001

> Right. I've been convinced to add flags for samplerate/channels/etc
> for raw mode in oggenc, but I haven't been doing any coding recently
> due to lack of time. There's a lot of stuff I want to get done in
> oggenc before a final 1.0 release, but that's all a few weeks off
> unless someone feeds me patches. So, if anyone urgently needs
> raw mode with selectable input parameters, fix it for me!

ok, for those who are interested in an already working sollution for live
streaming at low bitrates....here is what i have done.  most of what you
need comes with the source distributions already

a.) took the icecast 2 source, compiled and got it running.

b.) got libshout as well and compiled.  after installing, you can then
compile the example app which is what i needed.  it takes input from
stdiand n sends it the server (all login info is hard coded into the
example.c file)

c.) edited audio.c of oggenc to read in 22050 mono as raw input instead of
44100 stereo ...and then copy the new oggenc and the libshout example into
one directory

d.) using sox i pipe the sound card line-in to oggenc and then to the
libshout example like this:

ox -t ossdsp  /dev/dsp -s -w -r 22050 -c 1 -t raw - \
        | ./oggenc -b 32 --raw - \
        | ./shoutexample

this seems to work fine, at least when the encoder and the server are on
the same host.  not sure what would happen if network congestion comes in
between.

I really dont have the time to make a nice clean patch to oggenc for
taking in various sample rates and channels (i'm not much of a coder to
begin with :)...but i could maybe give it a whirl next week if anyone is
in dire need.

and, despite the fact that beta4 vorbis is not optimized for lowbitrate,
it is not that bad really.  sounds ok for voice at least.  also, when i
put my mic up to the speaker, vorbis has a really interesting feedback
sounding (kind of a steady slow hummmm) ...much more interesting that
.mp3's twangy whiny feedback.

smiles   - august.