[vorbis] quality

Erik Stenborg d99papa at dtek.chalmers.se
Tue May 22 01:15:30 PDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, fungus wrote:

> Are you sure you're using the latest encoder/decode?
> I remember posting a similar message to yours and
> when I upgraded all the problems vanished, red faces
> all round.
>
> nb. You have to get both the encoder *and* the decoder
> right.

I use version 0.7 of oggenc (it says libvorbis beta4 too) to encode, and
the winamp plugin from http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/in_vorbis.zip for
playing. I downloaded it again today, but it's the same as the one I used
before. Please tell me if I should upgrade something.

> As for the bitrate, maybe 218 is enough to encode the
> track perfectly with no loss. That track doesn't exactly
> have a lot of high frequencies or harmonics in it. Ogg is
> just saving you some disk space.... :-)

There is some white noise in the wav, and it sounds to me as if the
encoder can't decide whether to keep it or to mask it out.

/Erik