[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

Jack Moffitt jack at icecast.org
Thu May 31 12:45:38 PDT 2001

> (Remembering all the hours spent arguing with a guy
> who swore that really expensive CD players were
> worth the extra money - apparently they can "get
> more information off the disc" than a normal player.
> And no, no amount of explaining the difference between
> digital and analogue would convince him, two plus two
> *can* equal five, if you spend enough money...)

There's more to it than that.

There's the quality of the DAC, and also the quality of the timing.
Monty rants now and then that you CAN hear the difference in bad timing
(ie, playing each of the 44100 samples evenly).

I imagine that the higher priced CD players have better quality on both
these fronts. Chad is a believer in expensive audio equipment, and I
know that he understands the differences involved.

jack.