[vorbis] Lossless/lossy hybrid?

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Thu May 31 12:39:44 PDT 2001

Wilson wrote:

> I definitely agree with this. CD audio in general sounds like crap.
> DVD-Audio/SACD is a big step in the right direction. Given that the
> equipment is still WAY out of my price range, I can't say whether it's a
> magical perfect solution..

That's because they're only interested in selling it
to the people who can tell which way round the speaker
cables are connected. Those people spend lots of money.

There's no technical reason why a manufacturer can't
put a 24bit DAC in a cheap DVD drive, it's just
marketing people trying to maximize profits.

(Remembering all the hours spent arguing with a guy
who swore that really expensive CD players were
worth the extra money - apparently they can "get
more information off the disc" than a normal player.
And no, no amount of explaining the difference between
digital and analogue would convince him, two plus two
*can* equal five, if you spend enough money...)

--
<\___/>
/ O O \