AW: [vorbis] Are AMDs preferable? [was: Choosing a processor]

fungus spam at egg.chips.and.spam.com
Wed May 30 11:21:54 PDT 2001

Jernej Simonèiè wrote:

> >> I wouldn't buy any Intel chip today...
>
> > Neither would I, especially not a Pentium 4.
>
> I've seen tests in which AMD Tbird 1.33GHz with DDR RAM performed
> faster than P4 1.5GHz...

Get the low-down here:

http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm

The P4 is let down by a lot of things, not least of
which is that most of today's compilers produce code
which a P4 doesn't digest too well. This software will
be around for a long time to come so unless they rework
the chip or ramp up the clock speed to something astronomical
it just won't be worth buying.

The way things are looking at the moment, Intel will be out
of the running for this generation of chips. AMD is going to
take all their business until the P5 appears.

The CPU isn't everything though. I've just upgraded my
computer in two stages. The first upgrade was a really
fast hard disk, the second upgrade was from a 350mHz PII
to a 1 gHz Athlon. I swear the hard disk upgrade made more
difference to the general feel of the machine than the CPU
did. I only really notice the CPU upgrade when I'm compiling,
and I've already forgotton how slow it used to be. If I had
to choose between the two upgrades I'd probably take the hard
disk over the CPU. 350 mHz is perfectly good enough for editing,
surfing, Office, etc. The hard disk will definitely make the
apps start up faster than a new CPU will and you'll notice
that more.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \