[vorbis] streaming...getting it together

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sat May 26 02:04:52 PDT 2001

>1.)  what is the status on low-bitrate streaming?  i know this has been
>asked a number of times...but as far as i can tell, it hasnt been asked
>lately.

Works fine, but libvorbis hasn't been optimised for lower sample rates
(which are, and will continue to be, neccesary for low-bitrates)

>2.)  are there any other ogg encoders for *nix besides lame and
>oggenc?

I suspect there are, but don't know of any specifically.

> are there any besides lame that can encode under 64 kbs?  is it
>right that oggenc can only encode as low as 112 VBR ?

No.

> to get it to encode
>lower i need to feed it a 22 or 16 khz file as mono?

Yes (or stereo, but lower sample rates will be required). Until I have time
to add resampling internally to oggenc, it's easiest to do this with a
simple sox/oggenc scripted combination (in fact it's very easy to do this).

>3.)  are there any tricks to getting lame to compile with vorbis support?
>I heard that the only way is to use lame3.87 and vorbis beta 3.  is there
>anywhere i can find a vorbis beta3 release?

Lame's vorbis support it out of date, and not recommended. libvorbis beta3
had known bugs.

>4.) are there any applications to use to stream live to an icecast2 server
>taking input from the soundcard line-in (opening /dev/dsp at 22hz
>mono and streaming a 32kbs stream)?  any dirty hacks in the mean
>time?

A couple of people have written simple programs to do this, but there
aren't any really complete solutions yet. ices2 has most of the support
for this working, but doesn't actually have code for setting options on
/dev/dsp and opening it. Adding a live-input module should only take an
hour or two - the basic design is solid, and live encoding support is
already there, though not properly tested.

If you're a programmer, I suggest you start from there - it should be
simple, but feel free to ask me any suggestions, since the input module
interface in ices isn't fully documented. If not, I'll be adding this
sort of functionality after my exams. Should have it working in about a
month.

Michael