[vorbis] streaming...getting it together

august black at mail.fl.aec.at
Sat May 26 00:54:44 PDT 2001

hi.

im trying to get some ogg vorbis streaming together (both live and file
streaming, but mostly interested in live streaming from the sound card
line-in) and have some questions that maybe someone here has the answers
to.  I spent the ENTIRE day yesterday doing research and trying things
out, even came across an interesting artical
(http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/03/30/streaming_linux2.html?page=3)
but still can't seem to put all the pieces together.

1.)  what is the status on low-bitrate streaming?  i know this has been
asked a number of times...but as far as i can tell, it hasnt been asked
lately.

2.)  are there any other ogg encoders for *nix besides lame and
oggenc?  are there any besides lame that can encode under 64 kbs?  is it
right that oggenc can only encode as low as 112 VBR ?  to get it to encode
lower i need to feed it a 22 or 16 khz file as mono?

3.)  are there any tricks to getting lame to compile with vorbis support?
I heard that the only way is to use lame3.87 and vorbis beta 3.  is there
anywhere i can find a vorbis beta3 release?

4.) are there any applications to use to stream live to an icecast2 server
taking input from the soundcard line-in (opening /dev/dsp at 22hz
mono and streaming a 32kbs stream)?  any dirty hacks in the mean
time?

5.) does anyone have a winnning combination already?  i saw that the guys
from radiostudio.org are already streaming in vorbis (nice one!).  i tried
to find out what they were doing, but only came across some .exe files
(which are no good for my purposes) and a tcl script using the snack
extensions (which opens a pipe to the lame encoder - if i can find a
beta3 vorbis release, i could maybe compile lame with vorbis and change
the tcl to suit my needs)

i hope i am not jumping the gun with all my questions.
thanks for any tips - august.