[vorbis] bitrtate peeling and lossless compression

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Sun Mar 25 08:57:18 PST 2001

Remember, the better the lossy compression is, the more the difference
between the compression and the original will seem like noise, and the
less effective it will be to apply lossless compression to that difference.

I suspect it would be better to keep the lossy and lossless compressions
independent.

craig duncan wrote:

> Larry Fenske wrote:
> >
> > Also, it seems to me that the lossless compression should be able to
> > benefit from the lossy compression so that the lossless+lossy
> > combination could be smaller than flac+ogg.
>
> In theory, this seems right to me.  I doubt it's of any practical value as far
> as any possible "tweaks" to FLAC or Vorbis that could utilize "overlapping"
> information but . . . still . . . it's an interesting idea.  Maybe a different
> compression scheme could implement something like this.  Maybe a new topic for
> research.
>
> craig

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 410
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com