[vorbis] [Fwd: Re: File formats (RE: MP4 Player Available for Download)]

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Mon Mar 19 04:01:45 PST 2001

"David Balazic" <david.balazic at uni-mb.si> wrote:

> I recall reading that all MPEG AAC software has different and
> incompatible file formats , because this is a condition set by
> the MPEG AAC technology licensing authority.
> Some kind of yet-another-anti-piracy-measure, the idea probably
> being that users of different software can not swap their files.

That's right - this is mostly done to avoid piracy, so that there
is no 'standard' for AAC files. Good example is Liquid Audio.
I think that AAC wasn't developed to be used as 'another'
MP3, it's usage is focused towards companies that sell audio
over the internet, for portable players, satellite communications...

Greetings,
Aleksandar