[vorbis] Re: [icecast] another Icecast2/Vorbis test stream

Smörk smoerk at gmx.de
Wed Mar 14 09:08:35 PST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:40:00 -0800 (PST), Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>This also happened to me when I did -b 1. The bitrates hover around 100. I
>didn't understand that. Plus the quality sounded good.

oggenc -h says:

<quote>
OggEnc currently supports 7 different modes. Each of these is a fully
VBR
(variable bitrate) mode, but they vary in intended average bitrate. The
bitrate option (--bitrate, -b) will choose the mode closest to the
chosen
bitrate. The 6 modes are approximately 112,128,160,192,256, and 350
kbps
(for stereo 44.1kHz input. Halve these numbers for mono input).
The default is the 128 kbps mode.  Lower sampling rates work properly,
but don't scale the bitrate; -b 112 on a stereo 22kHz file will produce
~70kbps file, not 112kbps.)
</quote>

o if you use -b 1 you get -b 112.