[vorbis] bitrtate peeling and lossless compression

Larry Fenske lfenske at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 22 12:53:08 PST 2001

--- Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 02:47:39PM -0500, Myles Buckley wrote:
> > If you want truly lossless compression then look at (in alphabetical order)
> > LPAC - http://www-ft.ee.tu-berlin.de/~liebchen/lpac.html, Monkey Audio -
> > http://www.monkeysaudio.com/index.html, RK Audio -
> > http://rksoft.virtualave.net/rkau.html or Squish - we all know where to
> find
> > this one.
>
> Has somebody been overloooking FLAC? http://flac.sourceforg.net/
>
> > These will allow you to get the EXACT input file at a later time.  AFAIK,
> > there is no method of 'peeling' any of these.
>
> Lossless codecs are typically used for production and archival. For
> distribution almost everyone uses a lossy codec. Until Monty gets
> cascading and peeling in Vorbis, you can store the raw sound data in
> e.g. FLAC, then decompress and encode with Vorbis for any
> distribution.

This is actually what I'm doing now.  I still have a bunch of files as waves,
but the stuff I've been doing lately is compressed with FLAC.  Still, though,
what I really want is a single file that I can play as is, retrieve the
original (for re-encoding or CD burning), and peel down to get a smaller
lower-quality file.

I'm using FLAC instead of any of the other myriad lossless compression programs
because it's free, open source, and works on all the OS's I'm running; most of
the same reasons I like Ogg.

Kenneth Arnold mentions "we all know where to find" Squish.  I have a
many-years-old copy of squish, but I haven't been able to find it recently.  I
know development has been interrupted, but I can't even find an old copy on the
'net.  Am I just blind to something obvious?

Larry Fenske