[vorbis] Beta4 artifact/bug in the bass area

Aleksandar Dovnikovic aldov at EUnet.yu
Sun Mar 18 03:17:47 PST 2001

"Moritz Grimm" <maxx at kolabore.de> wrote:

> Today, I found an encoding bug with a new tune by me.
> http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~us87/ogg/vorbis_bassrumble_demo.rar (2.1MB)
> contains the original .WAV in 16bit/44.1kHz and an .OGG encoded at
> 350kbit/s. I found the bug when listening to the 128kbit/s version, but
> encoding it with that high bitrate didn't change a thing.
> The deep bassdrum contains a rumbling, knocking sound (the first time i
> heard it i thought someone was knocking my door :) ) in the .ogg, not in
> the original .wav.

Yes I can hear what you are talking about: at the beggining of your
clip the deep bassdrum sound is distorted - it's easily audible in
-b128 mode and as you go higher the artifact is less present, but
even at -b350 it's still pretty audible. Definitely a bug of some sort,
since LAME sounds fine.

Greetings,
Aleksandar