[vorbis] Beta4 artifact/bug in the bass area

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Sat Mar 17 05:59:21 PST 2001

Hi!

Today, I found an encoding bug with a new tune by me.

http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~us87/ogg/vorbis_bassrumble_demo.rar (2.1MB)
contains the original .WAV in 16bit/44.1kHz and an .OGG encoded at
350kbit/s. I found the bug when listening to the 128kbit/s version, but
encoding it with that high bitrate didn't change a thing.

The deep bassdrum contains a rumbling, knocking sound (the first time i
heard it i thought someone was knocking my door :) ) in the .ogg, not in
the original .wav.

In other parts of the song this artifact isn't there, so it must have to
do something with the combination of sounds in that part. The cracks and
pops in this extract are there on purpose and come from that great
ionosphere sample whose URL was posted on vorbis-dev. This artifact
cannot be the ionosphere sample's fault only, because as I said, the
sample was there in the tune already before the part where this bug is
audible. The ionosphere sample is represented pretty good, btw.

I hope that helps. If someone needs more info about the demosample,
please let me know.

Bye,

Moritz

P.S.: I used the beta4 version of OggDrop for Windows to encode it.