[vorbis] Experimental info editor for winamp

Warren Spits spits at cyberdude.com
Tue Mar 6 23:25:44 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Dickson" <crdic at yahoo.com>

> I disagree strongly. The listview is appropriate, since you can reorder
the
> list and the set of fields provided will vary between files. There are
> numerous examples of this kind of UI in Windows itself, all of which use a
> list view or tree view.

The comment list should have white background. This indicates to the user
that it is editable. I will be leaving it as a white background unless too
many users disagree with me.

> The only capitalization inconsistency I noticed was "File name", which
ought
> to be either "Filename" or "File Name". I prefer "Filename" myself.
Another
> alternative would be to have no "Filename" label, get rid of the text
> control's border, and make it as wide as the "Comment Editor" group box.

I will change that in VCE for the next release.

> Yes, as a non-editable field (obviously). Any other stats that can be
> supplied would be nice. I like the details that Winamp's MP3 comment
editor
> shows -- things like the file's size on disk, its duration, sample rate,
bit
> rate, and whether it is joint stereo, m/s stereo, mono, or whatever.

The next release of VCE will have an information tab showing such details.

> Another thing: I noticed that the VCE plugin's dialog is non-modal,
whereas
> the Winamp MP3 comment editor is modal. This means you can have several
open
> simultaneously, and you can still interact with Winamp's main window. This
> is a neat feature if it can be made to work properly, but right now it
> behaves rather strangely. I find that if I open a playlist of .ogg files,
> then open the comment editor for one track (A), then open a second comment
> editor window for another track (B), then close the B editor, then close
the
> A editor, the editor for B will pop up again all by itself. I have not
> looked at (or even downloaded) the plugin code, but I would guess that it
> doesn't really support multiple simultaneous dialogs, and gets confused.

The next release of the integrated winamp/vce will be implemented as a modal
dialog box.

Warren.