[vorbis] Comment field spec needs to be expanded and tightened

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Mon Mar 5 01:19:27 PST 2001

> > > changing "DATE" to "RECORDING_DATE" and "LOCATION" to
> > > "RECORDING_LOCATION"; there are many other potential dates and locations
> > Without thinking about it, yes ... but after the few thoughts i had
> > about it now i can't make up any other dates and locations...?
> Composing date/location, encoding date/location, first played at
> date/location.. There's loads of them :)

Yeah, but those dates anything but reasonable. I really believe that
this is something to expect of the user, and if they do it different ...
well, it shall not be my problem. And if someone writes 1854 as a year
into the date tag of a classical music .ogg, it's rather obvious what
the person who encoded the file meant.

Why not let the user decide whether to write some ISOIETFRFCW3C-standard
thingie or just DATE=Composed in July 14th, 1997

Search engines should be intelligent enough to at least find the
four-digit year in the tag, right?

> > > ACCOMPANIMENT
> Ever heard Metallica's 2CD "S&M" ? Great cds :) .. Anyway, those are
> recordings of Metallica playing live with the San Francisco Symphony
> Orchestra (ie. that should be put in ACCOMPANIMENT). That IS interesting to
> know imho..

Hm, but that's also a special case. Regarding also classical music, this
all could as well go into the already available DESCRIPTION tag.

> > > the MIME type; the problem with these is, do you really want to
> > > store image data inside a comment field?
> > Hmmm, but this'd be funky. Maybe if the image size (resolution and
> > filesize) is reasonably restricted?
> Why not just make it another "substream" ? Another usage for the ogg pic
> format :)

Michaels mail opened my eyes. Short text is what goes into the comment
header, so I don't think that images should go into the comments any
more. Well, that's not too bad, since if needed, a player that wants to
feature a thing like that could as well invent something on it own (like
automatically displaying foobar.ogg.jpg while playing foobar.ogg).

Moritz