[vorbis] Comment field spec needs to be expanded and tightened

David K. Gasaway dgasaway at bigvalley.net
Sun Mar 4 19:09:19 PST 2001

> Legally, composer and author are the same, and if an arranger creates
> something new with the given material, he also is an adequate author
> (although he might have to pay licensing fees for the material he
> used). My suggestion would be to keep that one AUTHOR tag and maybe
> introduce a CREDITS tag for the remaining contributors in the creation
> process of a track. This could also include the conductor. Introducing
> a tag that makes only sense in the classical and bigband genre would
> be overkill. IMO.

Perhaps it make sense in this context:  Suppose the tags for my
large classical collection are copied into an indexed and
searchable database.  The distiction would be very important to me.

> > INTERVIEWEE
> >  If the material is an interview, who is being interviewed?
> >
> > INTERVIEWER
> >  If the material is an interview, who is doing the interviewing?
>
> Those are all tags that can be defined by the user if necessary.

Yes, but sometimes it's better to guide the user.

> Werd, all the players I used for playing any musical format on the
> computer or my CD-Player knew the total length by themselves. Why
> introduce a tag? Only for the Napster guys who need to know whether
> they got an incomplete download or not? Naaahh...

You might perhaps be a little short-sighted.  The ogg vorbis format
might outlive audio CDs.  Music distribution is already changing.

-----
David K. Gasaway
dgasaway at comports.com
http://dkg.home.dhs.org