[vorbis] streaming Vorbis: trials & errors with Icecast 2

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sun Mar 4 11:10:23 PST 2001

Greetings:

  Okay, here's where I'm at so far.

  Icecast 2 builds without problems. I edit the icecast.xml config file
as seen in the server output below:

[root at localhost icecast]# icecast -c conf/icecast.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<icecast>
  <location>DLP_House_Of_Sound</location>
  <admin>dlphilp at bright.net</admin>
  <limits>
    <clients>5</clients>
    <sources>5</sources>
    <threadpool>5</threadpool>
    <client-timeout>15</client-timeout>
  </limits>
  <source-password>itsme</source-password>
  <directory>
    <touch-freq>5</touch-freq>
    <server>
      <host>127.0.0.1</host>
      <touch-freq>15</touch-freq>
    </server>
  </directory>
  <hostname>localhost</hostname>
  <port>8000</port>
  <bind-address>127.0.0.1</bind-address>
  <paths>
    <basedir>/home/dlphilp</basedir>
    <logdir>/tmp</logdir>
  </paths>
  <logging>
    <accesslog>access.log</accesslog>
    <errorlog>error.log</errorlog>
  </logging>
</icecast>
DEBUG: connection handler thread started...
DEBUG: connection handler thread started...
DEBUG: connection handler thread started...
DEBUG: connection handler thread started...
DEBUG: connection handler thread started...

   Now, the syntax for the example streamer is not clear, and I've seen
at least three suggested orderings, none of which have worked for me.
The Icecast 2 retrieval docs (at
http://i.cantcode.com/~jack/icecast.html) say:

        cat ~/music/*.ogg | example 8000

So I tried it like this:

        [root at localhost dlphilp]# cat /home/dlphilp/soundfiles/oggfiles/*.ogg |
example 8000
        Connected to server...
        DEBUG: Send error: 0...
        Broken pipe

Okee, so I asked Jack about this and he suggested this:

        cat ogglist | xargs example 8000

and that gets me this error:

        [root at localhost dlphilp]# cat ogglist | xargs example 8000
        Connected to server...
        [root at localhost dlphilp]#

which looks good but nothing is happening. Then Jack suggested this
syntax:

        cat ogglist | xargs cat | example 8000

which produced this error:

        [root at localhost dlphilp]# cat ogglist | xargs cat | shouter 8000
        Connected to server...
        DEBUG: Send error: 0...
        xargs: cat: terminated by signal 13

Okay, at this point I sought assistance from my UNIX guru. He told me
that the likelihood is that the streamer is breaking the pipe, and he
also thought that perhaps there should be an encoder or player stuck in
that syntax, so I tried things like this:

        cat ogglist | xargs ogg123 | example 8000

I used every output option available to ogg123, no joy. I can get the
files to cat correctly to the player, and I even get the "connected to
server..." message, but I'm damned if I can get hooked up to the stream
with a player.

Incidentally, upon first connection to the server from the streamer I
get this message from the server:

        connection added....
        DEBUG: someone signaled us!
        DEBUG: header read succeeded...

        What kind of headers do we have?
        req_type = source
        protocol = ice
        version = 1.0
        uri = /home/dlphilp/shouter.ogg
        DEBUG: source logging in
        DEBUG: source logged in!

which looks pretty good to me. Unfortunately that's the last good news I
get. From there on it's as I've detailed.

I should also point out that the server reports a connection added when
I fire up XMMS or ogg123 with the loopback address and server port
(127.0.0.1:8000), but again, no matter what I add past the port number
nothing connects.

I hope this information is of some value to anyone making the same
attempts. Again, if you succeed at this, I would dearly like to know how
you did it.

I would also like to emphasize that I'm not bitching. I understand that
this whole thing is right on the edge, so I expect some labor. No fear,
we'll get there...  :)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net