[vorbis] how much room for comments?

Moritz Grimm maxx at kolabore.de
Thu Mar 1 00:12:37 PST 2001

Hi!

Ralph Giles wrote:
> > So, how many characters long can the value of a comment tag be? 80, 256,
> > 512, 1024, 31337 or unlimited chars? This might be good to know, since
> > players should be able to display those comments somehow and there might
> > be some UI design problems when scrolling gets involved.
> Each vorbis comment can be 2^32-1 (4294967295) bytes long including the
> tag ('TITLE=') and there can be 2^32-1, so that's no a problem.

Bang, so there can be a total load of ~16.777.216 Terabytes of comments
in a vorbisfile...? Holy cow! :) Is that stored in plain text or is it
huffman-coded? Well, I really hope that noone writes so many comments
that zipping an .ogg would make any significant difference ... Geez,
that's a LOT! Does the universe contain that many atoms?

> I think it make more sense to do this in a separate substream
> multiplexed with the audio data. Aside from simplifying the
> handling (or generalize it, anyway) Means you can send it 'realtime' in
> streaming contexts and so on as well.
>
> Some time ago I did a proposal for an xml format for scrolling lyrics
> and other timecoded text. Comments welcome.
>
>   http://xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200008/0082.html
>
> Be fun to see this working,

... indeed, this sounds very interesting. Well, I'm not into xml at all,
so I don't really understand your suggestion, but my imagination tells
me that it must be very cool. What happened to this proposal? Is it
somewhere in the to-do list? Concerning Karaoke, all I know about it is
that there is a MIDI subformat that supports it. As far as I remember
that thingie never really spread because it was so very proprietary.
Having this in .OGG would not only fix that better late than never and
be great fun, it would also make it even more valuable for the
entertainment industry (propably with its pivot in Japan, it's said that
they are Karaoke enthusiasts :) ). Can't be wrong if it's both feasible
and easy to use/create in the end...?

Moritz