[vorbis] PNG and GIF and JPEG

Freya freya128 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 11:16:21 PDT 2001

Interesting! Can anyone shed any light on this?
I thought that both JPEG and JPEG 2000 were protected
by patents. Certainly 2000 is but I thought straight
JPEG was too?

Of course the original JPEG spec is much bigger than
what everyone uses and refers to as JPEG (.jpg files)
so perhaps that is where I got the idea from. I would
love to hear from someone who is sure!

Actually I didn't mean to leave that link in my mail!
Oooooops! :)

love

Freya

--- rillian <rillian at telus.net> wrote:
> On Friday, June 29, 2001, at 09:16 , Freya wrote:
>
> > One thing I should point out about JPEG's, much as
> > love them and use them lots for photo's and other
> fun,
> > we should all be aware that they ARE covered by
> > patents, it's just that at the moment the people
> who
> > own those patents are being nice and letting
> people
> > have fair use...at the moment...
>
> Are you sure about this? The link you posted is to a
> JPEG 2000 page,
> which is a very different thing. The story I
> understood is that portions
> of the jpeg spec are patented, including most of the
> jpeg 2000 format,
> but that the 'baseline' subset everyone actually
> uses is completely in
> the clear.
>
> > http://www.jpeg.org/FCD15444-1.htm
>
>   -r

> 'vorbis-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.
> No subject is needed.
> Unsubscribe messages sent to the list will be
ignored/filtered.