[vorbis] YAMVVFF - Yet Another MP3 versus Vorbis Fist Fight

Karol Pietrzak noodlez84 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 29 10:45:35 PDT 2001

On 29 Jun 2001, David Balazic wrote:

> JPEG is for natural pictures ( like photos ) ,
> whil GIF is for "technical" pictures ( text and object that have
> simple color, without gradients ).
>
> JPEG beats GIF on natural,
> GIF beats JPEG on technical.
>
> ... and PNG is better than GIF :-)

PNG, for example, if better than GIF _in all aspects_.  PNG
supports 2-dimensional interlace, thousands of levels of
transparency, and 64-bit images.  Not only that, but it has
better compression and is not patented.

This brings up the same question between Ogg Vorbis and MP3
(specifically the LAME encoder).  As comparisons / reviews
between these two formats have started, Ogg Vorbis has been able
to much better able to reproduce high / low frequencies than
MP3.  At that point in the game however (beta4), MP3 has been
slightly better at medium frequencies (if I remember correctly,
I'm getting my info from a DigitalEar.com review).  That has and
will no doubtedly improve over time, but does anyone ever see
MP3 still being widely-used for a specific purpose because of
its superiority in that area?

--
noodlez:   Karol Pietrzak
PGP KeyID: 0x3A1446A0