[vorbis] Pessimism

Frank Heckenbach frank at g-n-u.de
Sat Jun 23 10:22:16 PDT 2001

Peter Schuller wrote:

> > I use it a lot, but I still get people mailing me
> > .gifs and even worse .jpgs (of things like text!!!)
> > That's okay let them.
>
> JPEG worse than GIF? What are you on? :) At least JPEG supports more than
> 256 colors and you don't need to pay $100000 (or whatever) to write an
> encoder...

JPEG is lossy, GIF is lossless, so this comparison is meaningless.
Compressing an image with straight lines, solid colors etc. with
JPEG usually produces bad/useless results and in this regard might
be considered worse than GIF. But the combination PNG and JPEG
(depending on the type of image) seems to be good for any purpose.

Frank

Frank Heckenbach, frank at g-n-u.de
http://fjf.gnu.de/
PGP and GPG keys: http://fjf.gnu.de/plan