[vorbis] Format comparison

John Morton jwm at plain.co.nz
Wed Jun 20 17:29:26 PDT 2001

On Thursday 21 June 2001 11:39, you wrote:
>  Jack Moffitt wrote:

>  Anyway, are you seriously arguing that continuous mix CDs are something
>  the average listener is into? I think not. Can you name even one
>  continuous mix electronica album that has ever even gone gold, much less
>  platinum? The only platinum-class electronica artist I can think of is
>  Moby, and he's dismissed as pop music by a lot of serious electronica
>  fans. And he doesn't do continuous mixes anyway.

Half the western world seems to own a copy of Dark Side Of The Moon and The
Wall. Tool's most recent is already platinum in the states after a month or
so, then there's the last couple of Chemical Brothers and Nine Inch Nails
albums. All albums with tracks that segue together. Consider also, that while
any given electronic album isn't necessarily top selling, fans tend to own
rather a lot of them that all tend to segue together as well. It's an issue,
and one that matters more than you're giving it credit for to a lot of
people.

Not that this alone is the killer feature, but add in 128k quality at 80 and
being able to automagically bitpeel down tracks to squeeze more on to the
player, and it's not such a hard sell. All you need is some 'making it easy'
tools:

 -  An album ripper that will migrate to the latest encoder. Just put in any
old cd, run the command or select the 'encode me' option from the file
manger/explorer. It rips and encodes the CD to ogg, replacing mp3s and old
ogg rips, migrating the metadata in the process, or looking up
freedb/musicbrainz for new albums. Couldn't be easier unles you had a trained
monkey to insert new CDs all the time.

- Hack every player on the so they don't do dumb things between tracks that
prevent them from seguing properly

- A tool for uploading tracks to your portable that automatically bitpeels
them down to some bitrate you're comfortable with. Make it drag and drop.

John