[vorbis] Format comparison

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Wed Jun 20 12:21:46 PDT 2001

Greetings,

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Aleksandar Dovnikovic wrote:
> "aardvaak" <aardvaak at ifrance.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I'm new on this ML. I would like to know how powerful Vorbis is
> > compared to mp3pro and aac+sbr ? Can we dream about a vorbis+sbr?

> As for AAC+SBR, now that would probably be the highest
> quality solution, but I don't know if AAC+SBR is even finished.
> Considering that AAC is mostly intended for music distribution,

> I don't think that AAC+SBR will be publicly available, since
> it will be sold mostly to companies. And judging by the price
> of AAC itself, AAC+SBR is probably going to be very expensive.
Well, AAC + SBR is the standard for DRM ('digital Radio Mondiale' = the
new specification (ITU-R approved) for digital radio on frequencies below
30 Mhz.).

Concidering the millions of radio-sets all-over the world that will have
to be replaced for DRM; this will probably be a multi billion euro
project.
If vorbis could come up with a patentless replacement for AAC+SBR, this
could save the world (at least) several tens of millions of euros.

(I don't mind having to pay for a patent if it is a good product; but DRM
is a product that could also be sold in millions to the "3th world". If we
could save THEM all that money; that would be a good cause in itself).

Just check out the website of DRM (http://www.drm.org/); and -especially-
the part called 'audio samples' (of the real broadcasting-tests done in
2000).
http://www.drm.org/system/globsample.htm.

It would be interesting to get hold of the 'original' audio-files
being broadcasted; so to compair vorbis with AAC and AAC+SBR at the
bitrates indicated at the webpage).

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.

--
KB905-RIPE                                       Belgacom  IP networking
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff)  Internet, IP and IP/VPN